High in Colorado

High in Colorado
by John Schneider

High in Colorado! Clearly, I am talking about the Colorado Rocky Mountains; What were you thinking? Breckenridge Resort, part of the Vail Resorts collection, boasts the honor of being one of the highest places in North America to ski. In fact, the Imperial Express chair lift is the highest chair lift in the continent where it drops off skiers at an attitude of 12,840 feet; making for incredible views that go on for miles and miles. The base of the resort sits at 9,600 feet above sea level. While the summit is 2 feet short of 13,000 feet high – you are on top of the world here.

Due to the high elevation and, therefore cooler temperatures (average 28 degrees during the day), Breckenridge is blessed with a very long ski season. The 2018-19 season the skiing began on November 9 and it would normally end late April. That provides many months of high-altitude adventure. But due to a season of great snows in Colorado Breckenridge Ski Resort is extending this winter season, and future seasons, through Memorial Day, as weather and conditions permit. Thanks to its high elevation and the highest chairlift in North America – the Imperial Express, Breck is often blessed with plentiful snowfall (more than 29 feet already this season!), excellent spring snow conditions, and now one of the longest running ski seasons of any major resort in the country. During the extended portion of the 2018-19 season this spring the resort plans to offer approximately 1,000 acres of skiing and riding, with access to intermediate-, advanced- and expert-level terrain on Peaks 6, 7 and 8, while conditions allow. Operations will be based out of Peak 7, with access to skiing and riding via the Independence SuperChair, T-Bar, 6-Chair, Imperial Express, Zendo and Kensho chairs. In addition to late spring skiing and riding, enjoy music and entertainment every weekend throughout May as a part of Breck’s Spring Finale.

Breckenridge has a little more than 2,900 acres of skiing with 58% being geared towards the more experienced or experts out there. The remaining 42% allows everyone to make a wonderful day memorable. The whole family, parents and children alike, will fill the day with boundless memories. Making sure you get up the mountain quickly and often there are 34 lifts for you to catch.

Just a quick reminder about skiing in high altitudes. Skiers should wear sunscreen (reapplying often) and drink water frequently. You want to be skiing all day, not figuring out how to deal with headaches, nausea, and shortness of breath. Check out one of our past articles on taking care of yourself at up high —> Altitude Tips.

The FirstLightSports.com team has skied Breckenridge, or “Breck” most people call it, many times and we highly recommend the view for the top of the world. Skiing here is a day full of great memories. Early, middle, or late season, you will not be disappointed!


Published April 2019

Comments are closed.